CERT stands for Community Emergency Response Team. CERT is a training program that prepares you to help yourself, your family, and your neighbors in the event of a disaster. When a widespread disaster strikes, emergency agencies are likely to be overwhelmed. Emergency service personnel may not be able to reach everyone right away. People may have to rely on each other – for hours or even days. By getting CERT training, you will have the skills to help emergency responders save lives and protect property.
In 95 percent of all emergencies, the victim or bystander provides the first immediate assistance on the scene. Would you know what to do?
CERT training takes about 20 hours to complete and provides critical skills in emergency preparedness and response. Training is conducted by firefighters or other trained CERT leaders.
Participants learn how to:
· Identify and anticipate hazards
· Reduce fire hazards in the home/workplace and extinguish small fires
· Conduct light search and rescue
· Set up medical treatment areas and apply basic medical techniques
· Help reduce survivor stress
· Organize themselves and spontaneous volunteers to be effective
CERT members are also trained in life-saving skills with emphasis on decision-making ability, rescuer safety, and doing the greatest good for the greatest number.
Who should take CERT training?
· People interested in taking an active role in hometown preparedness
· Neighborhood Watch groups
· Community leaders
· Students, teachers, administrators and school staff
· Communities of faith
· Scouting and youth organizations
· Members of clubs and civic organizations
Points of Contact for CERT Programs in Jefferson County:
· Birmingham CERT – Lt. Orlando Reynolds, Orlando.Reynolds@birminghamal.gov – 205-785-1332
· Fultondale CERT – Allen Thrush, email@example.com – 205-616-6082;
Charles Bonasera, firstname.lastname@example.org – 205-516-2688
· Irondale CERT – B. J. Colvin, email@example.com – 205-951-1408
· Trussville CERT – John Griscom, firstname.lastname@example.org – 205-789-7362
· Vestavia Hills CERT- Nicole Zabriskie, email@example.com – 205-593-7291
To start a new CERT Program in your area, contact Annette Davis at Jefferson County EMA – firstname.lastname@example.org – 205-254-2039